About Mrs. Loya's Class
to Math made fun and easy. I will also be teaching Concepts of
Engineering, new to Bowie High School for 2014-15. Concepts of Engineering will be a prerequisite for Robotics which will be offered for next school year 2015-16.
I have been teaching
since 2011 and hold a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and
Teaching Certificates in both High School Math (8-12) and Technology Education.
am here to teach and you are here to learn. I will do my job; you
will do yours and together we will use this year wisely and
Hard Work and a Positive attitude is the key to success, therefore Your Goal should be to do the work and keep a positive attitude all the time and you will be successful.
My Goal is to
create a productive and safe learning environment where I will support
you and cheer you on because you have the potential to be what you set
your mind to be, you must believe with me and the rest will follow.
This year 2014-15 Bowie is implementing a Hybrid school schedule. What
this means is that on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday you will be on a
traditional schedule and see all your teachers (8 class periods;
45minutes long) and on Thursday and Friday we will be following a block
schedule or 4 classes 90minutes long which will be called A day or
Bday. I will attempt to clarify this in my calendars.
I am a math teacher and technical education teacher fo
r the El Paso Independent School District EPISD
. Here you will find the El Paso Independent School District Instructional Calendar EPISD Calendar.
Mrs. Loya's Schedule for 2014-15
Monday - Friday traditional schedule:
8:00 - 8:45am - available for tutoring
8:45 - 9:30am 1st Period C1 Conference
9:34 - 10:19am 2nd Period C2 Algebra 2 PAP
10:23 -11:08am 3rd Period C3 Algebra 2 PAP
11:12 -11:57am 4th Period C4 Conference
11:57 - 12:38 LUNCH
12:38-1:23pm 5th Period C5 Intro Engineering Concepts-STEM
1:27 - 2:12pm 6th Period C6 Intro Engineering Concepts-STEM
2:16- 3:01pm 7th Period C7 Intro Engineering Concepts-STEM
3:05 -3:50pm 8th Period C8 Algebra 2 PAP
you require a conference with me please note that you will need to call
in advance and schedule your preferred time and day with me as
conference periods are occasionally used for professional development
and or other meetings.
Classroom Expectations - Mrs. Loya
The student is responsible for bringing the following items to class each day:
Exams & Quizzes
- Interactive Student Notebook (ISN, Composition book)
It is the student’s responsibility to ask questions if he/she doesn’t
understand the material before the day of an exam or quiz. No questions
regarding the material will be answered during the exam. If the student
is absent for the exam or quiz, he/she will be responsible to let me
know so a makeup exam date can be arranged. Failure to follow through
will result in a zero for that exam. Only excused absences will be given
the opportunity to make up an exam.
is my belief that without practice, success is not possible.
Therefore, we will be doing as much practice as possible. Work that
it is not finished during class time will be due the next time the
class meets at the beginning of the period.
- If a student fails to do his/her homework he/she will receive a zero.
- Assignments that are messy, illegible or poorly organized will not receive credit.
- Identify all assignments with name, assigned date, assignment title, and class period.
all work – answers alone, unless appropriate, are not acceptable.
Answers when appropriate should be boxed or identified with a
Attendance in class is VERY important since mathematics is cumulative.
Parents should notify the attendance office each day the student is
absent. Students not excused from school by parent/guardian will receive
an unexcused absence. Work missed on the day of the unexcused absence
may not be completed for credit. When absent from class it is the
student’s responsibility to obtain assignments, notes, make up tests,
etc., to keep up with the rest of the class.
ABSENCES – Excused student activities are scheduled in advance,
therefore it will be the student’s responsibility to turn in assignments
and make up tests. A student should inform the teacher before the
absence to make the necessary arrangements.
Should you be tardy -
can only be made up if the absence is excused. Arrangements must
be made the first day back to school for the make-up. Tests will be
made up after school.
- Homework that was due on the first day of your absence is due the first day you are back.
- Enter quietly
- Excused: place excuse slip on my desk.
- Unexcused: Please Sign detention/Tardy list
Comprehensive 9-weeks test: 10%
I will provide tutoring afterschool in my classroom B131. As a courtesy, please notify me if I should expect you afterschool.
Class Rules and Procedures
Students are responsible for their own learning and behavior. Students must not interfere with another student’s right to learn. Students
are expected to follow school rules as laid out in the handbook. In
addition, the following rules apply to the classroom
- In their seat and working on warm-up work when the tardy bell rings.
- Bring all books and materials to class and take them when you leave.
- Treat each person in this room with dignity and respect.
- Follow directions the first time they are given.
- No talking, especially during:
- Class instruction
- When visitors enter the classroom
- No sharpening pencils during announcements or class instructions, please come in prepared.
- Class materials must be shared please do not take any highlighters, classroom pencils or calculators with you they are needed for other classes.
- Follow ALL procedures and policies as outlined in the EPISD handbook. (this includes dress code)
- Remain in your seat unless you have permission to leave it.
- Profanity in class is NOT permitted.
classroom is a “No Whining Zone.” That means that there will be no
whining for any reason. Everything that I do is in your best
interest, so please respect the “No Whining Zone” this semester.
- Clean up your desk and floor area around you during and at the end of the class.
- During a fire drill remain together as a class so I can keep track of where you are.
- Guideline Infraction Notice
If I confiscate your electronic property it will be turned in to the office. There is a $15 fee for retrieval of property.
Consequences for not following rules:
- No food or drink in class, (bottled water with cap is allowed)
- Electronics are not allowed in class. This includes, the following:
- Cell phones/Smart Phones
- MP3 Players
- Digital Cameras/recorders
Warning and documentation (Guideline Infraction Notice filled out) may Call Parent.
Action Plan, parental contact, (document containing: What’s the
problem? And the student fills in “What’s causing the problem? Listing
factors, and lastly with the help of parent/guardian will come up with a
plan - What Plan will you use to solve the problem? This document will
be signed and dated by student and Parent/Guardian. Parental contact
must be documented.
Parent/Teacher Conference and/or 30 minute detention (Friday Only)
Any severe disruption will result in immediate referral to Assistant Principal or Counselor.
Any student who uses profanity, fights, damages school property (this
includes property of the teacher and other students), or is
disrespectful (as defined by the teacher) will be sent to the office
IMMEDIATELY and or a Disciplinary Referral.
on time. You must be in your assigned seat when the bell rings or you
are considered tardy. Unless directed otherwise, you must remain seated
until you are dismissed.
Please assist me in encouraging your child to do his or her work. Let
me know if you have any questions concerning your child or see any
problems arising with your child’s performance.
- Please enter quietly and always come prepared to class with your notebook, paper, pencil and eraser for class every day.
- Be kind, courteous, and respectful of others.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
- Do not talk while others are talking, disrupt class, talk excessively, or make unnecessary comments.
- Sharpen pencils and take care of any other business of such a
manner before the tardy bell rings. Class will start immediately after the bell.
- Retrieve your Class Binder
- Retrieve your calculator if Algebra 2
- Retrieve Materials as assigned for your groups, please be respectful
and keep class materials in good condition and do not take any with
you. Should you inadvertently take any class materials, please return
as soon as possible.
- Go directly to your assigned seat.
- Take out your materials.
- Review the agenda.
- Complete Bell Ringer/Warm-up (Graded 3 minutes after bell)
- Give your undivided attention to this class for the entire time you are in class.
- During testing period the students should be silent and with
their eyes on the test. If the student is caught cheating, he or she
will get a zero for that exam with no makeup opportunities
- If you have extra time in class, you should be reviewing classwork, finishing any pending assignments, or reading.
Thank you for your involvement. I look forward to working with your child this year on increasing their math skills.
Students: Please let me know if you are having any difficulties and I
will do what I can to help. The sooner the better or you will only get
further behind. Please have a positive attitude and be respectful to all
questions asked in class.
****The teacher reserves the right to alter the syllabus in order to meet the needs of the students in the class. ****