ABOUT US

Cheerleaders at pep rally

Bowie High School is one of the oldest operating high schools in El Paso, Texas and is part of the El Paso Independent School District. Founded in 1927, Bowie is located in the Chamizal neighborhood in the South Central part of the city. It lies within 100 yards of the Mexican border, not far from the Bridge of the Americas linking El Paso with Ciudad Juarez and El Paso's-lone national park, the Chamizal National Memorial.

Named for Texas Revolution hero and Alamo defender James Bowie, the school serves Downtown El Paso and the western half of South Central (also known as South) El Paso. Its attendance zone is roughly defined by Interstate 10 on the north, the Rio Grande on the south and west and Luna Street on the east. It is fed by Guillen Middle School and the elementary schools in its feeder pattern include Aoy, Beall, Douglass and Hart. A fifth elementary school, Alamo Elementary, mainly serves the Alamito housing project between Virginia Street, Park Street, Delta Drive and Father Rahm Avenue in the Segundo Barrio neighborhood directly south of Downtown.

Bowie also hosts a magnet program for business and international relations, International Business Academy, which opened in 2003 and draws students from throughout the district.